Saturday, June 4, 2011

BG&R Reviews: Movies about baking: Bridesmaids

So I went to see Bridesmaids last weekend.  This review will focus strictly on the baking aspects of the movie, and not the aspects in which the movie hit far, far too close to home and will likely be the story of my life in about six months.

Anyway.  Baking.  Is a key aspect of this movie.  Kristen Wiig's character, Annie, has a failed bakery called Cake Baby.  Since the failure of her bakery, she's reluctant to really bake again, even though other characters encourage her to.  There are two significant baking scenes, one in which she takes the time and effort to bake herself one really, really elaborate cupcake (which I can totally sympathize with; see the Shame Brownie), and one that I won't talk about as it's sort of a spoiler.  Overall, her baking looks pretty legit.  I would have liked to see more of the failed bakery, but the movie's two hours as it is so there's only so much they can do when the focus is supposed to be weddings, female friendships, etc, etc.

As for the nonbaking aspects, it's a good movie.  Definitely funny; not sure if I would have found it funnier if I hadn't identified quite so much with Annie.  As for those female friendships, I was expecting to see a little more of them, and a little less 'women being hypercompetitive with each other', but perhaps I'd just heard too much hype and my expectations were too high.

Incorporation of baking into the movie:  3/5
Overall movie quality:  4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment