Friday, January 20, 2012

Bailey's Pudding Pie

Sometimes you just have one of those days.  For me, it was the first day back to work after a four day weekend, where nothing was actually wrong, but nothing went particularly right either.  It was the kind of day that makes you want to hide under your covers for the rest of the week, but that wasn't an option, so I found another solution:  pie.

I'd been ogling this pudding recipe for awhile (who knew pudding didn't have to come from a powder made by Jell-O?) and I'm not so much a pudding-from-a-cup person, but put pudding in a pie crust, and I'm there.  Plus, I had all the ingredients on hand (which is an anomaly; I never have milk), and was just questioning whether something with called 'Irish cream' could actually sit opened in my liquor cabinet for a few years and still be drinkable.  Once I determined (through furious Googling) that my Bailey's had not, in fact, gone bad yet, there was nothing to stop me from making this recipe.

I am obsessed with this crust (recipe is down the page a ways, but you'll get there).  When I was little, our Oreo crumb crust recipe was just some cookies and a stick of butter, done.  It was okay.  But somehow, when to this, you add some sugar and a little bit of salt, it becomes like delicious, delicious crack.  Definitely double the recipe.  I have actually considered just making the crust and eating it alone, but that would be essentially eating an Oreo smeared with butter and sprinkled with some salt, which seems like a one way ticket to Diabetes-Heart-Attack-Land, with a layover in Fat Kid Town on the way.

So, anyway, pudding pie.  You make the crust (I baked mine for 10 minutes on its own since I wouldn't be baking the pie), and then you make the pudding.  It took a little longer than I expected for the pudding part to boil, but it finally did and I made it to my ab class at the gym on time (the entire pie+crust endeavor probably took about 45 minutes, if you're curious; my ab class was only 30).  


Like with all my photos, this tasted better than it looks.  You're lucky I didn't take a picture of the part where all the crust just stuck to the pie plate (I of course went and scraped it out and ate it).

What's your go to food for an excruciatingly 'meh' day?  Or are you a better person than me who has some other stress release that doesn't involve booze and heavy cream?

No comments:

Post a Comment