Sunday, March 6, 2011

Quintuple Chocolate Cookies

I have what might be called an unreasonable addiction to Food Network.  Apparently there are people out there who think it's silly to watch TV about food rather than just eating food; I disagree.  Whatever.
My current favorites are The Best Thing I Ever Ate and Cupcake Wars (more on that one later).  I watch both while I'm on the treadmill because apparently I'm a masochist.  While watching on Valentine's day, they were doing a Best Thing I Ever Ate episode about chocolate, which featured the dark chocolate chocolate chip cookies from the Levain Bakery in NYC.  The good news is I've had these cookies, so I didn't get as envious as usual.  The bad news is I've only had them once and was sick at the time, so I didn't really get to fully appreciate them.
So, when I stumbled across this recipe and had a party I needed to bring something to, Levain copycat cookies it was.  They went over great with pretty much everyone I fed them to - I got asked at the party if the cookies were professionally made.
These are actually crazy easy and fast to make, particularly because they don't call for softened butter.  Just cut it up and throw it in the mixer.

I'm usually not a stickler for ingredient quality, but I used Ghiradelli cocoa in this, and I really liked the way it came out.  Using a really good, dark cocoa makes the batter a really rich, dark chocolate, which you want for these cookies.

The recipe called for making 9 cookies; I ended up with 14 and they were still huge.

I think these speak for themselves.  

I was asked at one point what they were, and responded "double chocolate cookies." 
 "Really?  Only one kind of chocolate?"
"Well, I guess technically there are five kinds of chocolate in there..."*
"So they're quintuple chocolate cookies."

Indeed they were.

*I used four different kinds of chocolate chips/chunks.  This is definitely not necessary, but I'd just bought a bunch of new things to try (see previous post) and also had half a bag of regular semisweet chocolate chips that needed to be used up.

No comments:

Post a Comment