Monday, May 30, 2011

A point of contention

So there's a great debate* in the baking community** at my workplace.  If one has to rank the major categories of baked goods (cookies, cake, pie) in order of awesomeness, what's the order?

My belief is
1. Pie
2. Cake
3. Cookies

based on the fact that pie is pretty amazing, cake is also very good, and cookies, in my opinion, can be really good but are often just this 'meh' thing that you make because they're easy and convenient.  And yet some people rank cookies first.  I don't get it.  I mean, sure, I'll take a really good cookie over mediocre pie, but somehow, for me, the things that are more labor intensive (making crust, making filling, etc) will tend to win out over something you can just dump onto a cookie sheet and run with.

*a mild disagreement
** me and this other guy who occasionally bakes, but did invent Nutella chips, so he's sort of legit

No comments:

Post a Comment